Three years ago, Jonathan Kgatshe resigned from a well-paying IT manager position, and ventured into the daunting world of entrepreneurship. His company, Myteksonic, is a 100% black owned IT, ProAV and Environmental Monitoring Company located in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is one of the very few companies what offers all of these services under one umbrella. They specialize in digital signal distribution, high-end laser projection, digital signage, IT solutions, IT environmental monitoring systems and electronic multimedia displays. They are also the official Network Technologies Inc distributor for nine southern African countries namely Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
One of the characteristics that sets Myteksonic apart is their extremely high levels of service. This is achieved through the company’s CARES philosophy, which they define as follows:
- C = Customer: We take pride in ensuring that we look after our customers, big or small, and adapts our services and solutions to continually address their requirements.
- A = Attention: We believe with greater attention to detail in all our services and solutions, we will get our solutions correct the first time around.
- R = Respect: The team is trained to have great attitudes and always portray high levels of respect.
- E = Excellence: Excellence is the quality of being outstanding or extremely good. We carries this through our daily operations from our internal staff relations to the valuable relationships we share with our customers. An excellent organization that offers outstanding service.
- S = Service: Excellent service is one of the main attributes that give us a competitive edge against our competitors. Our friendly and welcoming nature will always leave you satisfied and impressed with our great service.
When asked what sets him apart from other entrepreneurs, Kgatshe referred to his commitment, dedication and strong technical abilities. ‘I have been in the ICT industry for 10 years in various roles. I strongly believe I was at the right point in time to have opened my business when I did. I have taken all my experiences with me and have gained and learnt so much more as an entrepreneur. I’m continually trying to improve and better myself in all aspects of running the business. There can always be more that can be done, to provide a customer with a better experience. It’s these small things that go along way and help to keep the customer coming back, creating more sales.’
As with any new venture, there have been many challenges to overcome. But Kgatshe has learnt that on a foundational level, entrepreneurship on its own is a massive challenge, especially if you start as he did with very little capital and no experience in running a business. ‘There are many facets to running a successful business that include finance, sales, marketing, technical and legal compliance,’ he explains. ‘When you are an entrepreneur you will have to handle all these facets and make sure they are up and running as they are all interlinked and depend on one another to ensure your business is successful.’
When asked how he’s accomplished what he has, Kgatshe replied, ‘Within myself I have this burning desire that continually makes me push harder and harder to grow the organisation into a well-known brand. I want people from the SADC countries to identify the Myteksonic brand with transparency, commitment and dedication. Myteksonic must be known as a true leader when it comes to IT, ProAV and IT Environmental Monitoring solutions. I will continue to strive for bigger and greater achievements and will forever be so grateful to all the individuals and companies that have supported and helped us to get this far.’
Myteksonic was awarded as Top 20 Small Businesses at the 2016 South African Small Business Awards.
Small Business Friday is brought to you by the NSBC and encourages all South Africans to interact and support small business everyday; especially every Friday and even more so on Small Business Friday, the first Friday of Spring every year. This grows local communities, drives job creation and ultimately builds the nation. With your support small business will be able to employ more, therefore reducing rates of unemployment and harvesting the entrepreneurial spirit.