Article by Mike Anderson (NSBC Founder & CEO)
Although this ideal situation of “quick success” doesn’t usually work out in life, there are some incredible stories. I have had the fortunate opportunity over time to meet these mercurial individuals who have shared with me what it took them to have “quick success”. What is important to know is that in almost all of my interviews, 80% of the points stated below were common amongst everyone.
Let’s take a look at how some entrepreneurs have achieved “instant or quicker success” over those who have given up and failed, or taken a great deal longer than ever expected:
- They get up insanely early.
- They keep promises no matter how small.
- They’ve given more thought to planning their business before starting out.
- They strive to be less reliant on borrowings.
- They take action and do things.
- They believe in themselves and have supreme confidence in whatever they do.
- They are risk-takers and don’t think about failure.
- When they do fail, they are not afraid of or embarrassed by their failures.
- They have knowledge, experience and a deep passion for their business.
- Their customers love what they do.
- They are willing to put in never-ending hours of work themselves.
- They continuously express gratitude and always have a positive outlook.
- They challenge the status quo which gives them the seeds of vision and opportunity.
- They learn from the pitfalls of others and get the best advice from the right people.
- They act quickly and change direction when something doesn’t work out.
- They demand excellence from themselves.
- They soar with the eagles that fly high, only surrounding themselves and connecting with positive people.
- They take responsibility for everything irrespective of what happens.
- They only focus on what’s important, they have the ability to say no to almost everything.
- They don’t throw in the towel – they just keep going and never give up.
Most businesses do take time for success. Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs give up when they hit their first obstacle. If you speak to any successful person you would quickly realise that things don’t always go as planned. Most successful people have been through a series of disappointments and failures before they realised their dreams.
Because success usually happens as a result of the accumulated experience people collect from their failures it doesn’t make any sense to assume that you will make it fast. Yes, you can succeed from the first attempt but generally most people never make it before they fail a few times. You need to understand and prepare for this. Always keep it in mind that quick success must be a bonus.
I strongly encourage you to aim for fast success but don’t assume that this is how life works. Slow and gradual progress is the way most successful people have followed until they have made it. Yes, in some rare cases you might find a chance that pushes you forward quickly. The general rule is that you have to be patient and persistent until you make it. Take a step everyday even if it is a small one and eventually you will make it, that’s as long as you keep moving and never give-up.
As always, it is a great privilege for me to talk at our flagship events. Next week I will elaborate further on the above and share the secrets to achieving greatness when I open the series of seminars at The Business Show: South Africa 2018 to be hosted on Thursday, 02 August 2018 at Gallagher Convention Centre, Midrand, Jo’burg.
This world class event is filled with top-of-the-line seminars, incredible networking and the opportunity to discover new trends, ideas and opportunities at the business expo. This is a must attend for all who are serious about starting a business and for those who wanting to build a bigger and more successful business.
Only pre-registration is FREE. To get your free ticket, go to www.thebizshow.co.za