Adv. Carien van Dijk – Tax director at The Supremacy Group
Make 2018 the year in which you learn a completely new and extremely valuable skill – how to do your own 2018 tax return.
After conducting an informal social media survey last month in South Africa, we found that people feel doing their own taxes will make them smarter about their finances overall. They feel that the process will actually help them to understand their overall financial health, putting them in a position to make better short- and long-term choices.
We discovered that there are actually quite a few advantages to doing your taxes:
- The most obvious is the cost saving, as some tax preparers can cost an “arm and a leg” for preparing and filing the simplest returns.
- The time is in your hands. Sometimes tax preparers can take weeks and weeks to get your tax return sorted, leaving you a sitting duck full of anxiety whilst you wait for the outcome from SARS. If you do it yourself, you manage when it can be done, and essentially you can speed up the time to get your tax refund in your bank account.
- You can use this skill to uplift and help those around you by getting their tax affairs in order, applying the “pay-it-forward” and “Ubuntu” principle in your community.
Once you have a more complex return, financial situation or you get selected for a full SARS audit, we highly recommend that you then see a registered tax practitioner for assistance, who will help you to navigate the tax road. Remember to ask if the tax practitioner is registered with a relevant professional body, as they are not allowed to do your taxes if they are not, and this can cause unnecessary issues for you at SARS.
Unfortunately, there are not many user-friendly guidelines out in South Africa currently to help you step-by-step in understanding how to complete your own tax return. That is why we, Training Supremacy, have partnered with the NSBC and have developed an affordable and convenient online “How To” training for you, whereby we have literally taken all our trade secrets and placed them in an easy-to-follow video format. All the training has been developed by our master tax practitioner, Adv. Carien van Dijk, and have been recorded by her team of tax gurus.
There are a few online training courses that we think will be useful to you on your path to tax independence:
- How to complete your own 2018 tax return
- E-filing compliance course
- Business taxation course
If you are an NSBC member, you automatically qualify for a 75% discount on ALL our trainings (this also applies to our onsite workshops at our Pretoria training centre). Furthermore, as part of our drive to help you this tax season, we will enable you to watch the “How to register on e-filing” completely FREE. Who said that it was not Christmas in July?
So what are you waiting for? Get in touch with your inner tax practitioner today.