When recruiting for extraordinary salespeople, you need to approach it holistically. Not only do you need to focus on your interviewing process but you need to focus on how you advertise for the job and how you encourage the salespeople to choose you as their ideal employer. Here are some key points to remember when recruiting spectacular salespeople.
1. Create ideal salesperson profiles for each position in your sales department.
This needs to be done before you start to recruit. You need to define what you want from each member in your sales team. What skills, attitude, behaviour and personality traits does the individual need to have to fill the sales positions in your business. You need to divide these into two groups. The traits that are non-negotiable and the ones which you can train should interviewee be found to be the ideal candidate.
2. Present your company as an employer of choice
You need to showcase your business as an ideal place to work. You can do this in various ways.
- Online – this is probably the first place a potential employee will go to find out more about your company. You need to ensure your website looks professional and that the content is kept up to date.
- Offices – make sure your offices exude success. The prospective employee needs to feel that this is a place where successes are celebrated and they will have the space to grow into the best they can be.
- Interactions – Prospective high performing employees want to know about your top clients and how you deal with relationships with them. This shows them that you value customer relationships.
- Reputation – When you hire the best, you will become known as an organisation that only hires top talent and this will be a great drawcard in your favour.
3. Use a referral system
Great salespeople know other great salespeople so why not make it worth their while to introduce you to this pool of untapped talent by rewarding your current salespeople with an added bonus if they refer great salespeople and they stick around for a certain amount of time.
4. Use good questions during the interview process.
Salespeople are hardwired to sell. So when they attend an interview they will be positive and looking to put their best foot forward. Click here for some questions you can ask to make sure you are hiring the best talent for your sales team.
5. Don’t overvalue experience
It is important to know what experience a salesperson has but it is also important to ensure they have the sales DNA you need. Sales DNA refers to the traits that are common among top preforming salespeople. These typically include ambition, competitiveness, sense of urgency, confidence, perseverance, optimism, resilience, and the ability and desire to influence others.
6. Offer above industry standard compensation
It is important to offer a good compensation package. You should make sure that it is above industry standard and that it heavily rewards star performances.
7. Keep retention efforts proactive
Though many people are motivated by money. You can stand out as an ideal employer if you are able to identify other criteria which helps to motivate your staff. By having other incentives in place to keep your employees happy will ensure you have great team for a long time.
By following these key points, you will be well on your way to creating the superstar sales team you need to grow your brand.
Proudly brought to you by the NSBC.