One commodity which every entrepreneur wishes they had more of is time. But how can you create more time in your day? Here are six time management techniques small business owners should try.
1. Stop procrastinating by trying the 2-minute Rule
Do you procrastinate? Then the two-minute rule may be your ticket towards productivity. The way this strategy works is by committing to do a task for two minutes. So if you have a task you have been delaying for a while then commit to doing it for two minutes and you may see that you finish it or you have started it and will be more eager to finish it in the future.
2. Focus using the Pomodoro method
This method was founded in 1980 and works by creating chunks of time where you remain focused on one task for a set amount of time. The way it works is that you will work on a task for 25 minutes then rest for 5 minutes and then repeat the cycle three more times. When you have done four time chunks you will get to rest for a longer period. Here are some apps for you to try this method.
3. Know your energy levels
Many people have different energy levels throughout the day and week. If you can try to work around your energy levels, you may become more productive. You can start by noting how your energy levels are through the week and through the day. Then you need to make a list of tasks that need to be completed. The tasks which are hard and require a lot of intellectual time should be done when your energy levels are good. Tasks which can be done with a bit of distraction should be done when your energy levels are low. By doing this you will be productive even when you don’t feel like it.
4. Prioritise your task with the Eisenhower Matrix method
This method works by dividing your tasks into four groups:
- Do First: These are tasks which are urgent and can only be done by you. They need to be done today or tomorrow at the latest.
- Schedule: These tasks are not urgent but need to be done. You can schedule them for a later date.
- Delegate: These are tasks which are urgent by don’t need your personal input. These tasks should be handed over to someone who is competent to complete them.
- Delete: This group of tasks are neither urgent or needing to be delegated. If a task is in here it may be highlighting a bad habit which you need to remedy.
By arranging your tasks according to these groups you will be able to remain focused on accomplishing your goals and not being distracted by bad habits. You can learn more about the Eisenhower Matrix method here.
5. Remove time wasters from your schedule
There are some activities which use up our time and don’t produce anything productive from the time spent there. One way to manage time wasters is to block off time which you will use to attend to them. Time wasters could be checking email, checking your social media, playing games on your phone or continuously messaging your family or friends. It is important to rather block off two thirty minute blocks where you can attend to these and then go back to focusing on your work.
6. Take care of your health
If you are not healthy you will struggle to do your work effectively. It is important to eat healthily, exercise and get a good night’s sleep. When you disregard one of these elements because you have to work, you are actually doing your work a disservice. By being healthy you will have more energy to achieve the tasks which you need to do in a day.
Proudly brought to you by the NSBC.