According to recent statistics, 50% of consumers prefer to learn more about a brand from a video. With this knowledge and the ease at which videos can be made. Video marketing has become accessible to SMEs.
What is video marketing?
Video marketing is using video to tell people about your products and business. There are a variety of videos that can be used to market your business. They are:
- Tutorial videos: These videos show customers how your product works. They show your product or service in action. They can also be used to share your expert knowledge on a subject to help gain authority about what you do.
- About us videos: Everyone wants to know the back story to a business. This helps to make a business feel more human.
- Testimonial video: People generally go to online reviews to decide whether to buy your product or not. You can use a testimonial video where your customer speaks directly about their experience with your product or service, or you could create a video with written testimonials featured in it with snapshots of your product.
- Product video: This is a video used to introduce a new product to the market. You can show the benefits of your product and how your product can satisfy your ideal customer’s needs.
- Live video: These are videos created off the cuff. They can be used to promote an event, they could be used to cover an interview, or to do a live draw for a promotion you have been running.
Now, that we have a better understanding of videos, let’s look at how to produce a video that will complement your brand.
STEP 1: Understand your audience
It is important to understand who your audience is and the type of videos that appeal to them. You should also research where they like to view videos. If they are on Instagram or Facebook, they may like to see live videos. If they are on YouTube, they may prefer videos that increase their knowledge about a certain topic.
STEP 2: State your goal
Do you want to increase brand awareness? Teach people how to use your product? Do you want to make more sales? Or do you want to increase your mailing list? It is important to have a clear goal about what you want to achieve with the video you are creating. You may also want to identify where you want to publish the video as this will affect the type of video you make.
STEP 3: Write a script
Though live videos are done off the cuff, other video types may need a script for you have a professional edge. Your script must sound conversational and easy. You should read your script aloud and if any of the words seem too cumbersome you should change them. You should also write what images you want to go with the words you have written. You can divide an A4 piece of paper into two columns and write the words on one side and write what you want the image to be on the other side.
STEP 4: Make the video
Your budget will determine what type of equipment you have available for your video. If you have a small budget, you can use your smartphone to make a video. If you have a bit more money, you could use a digital camera or hire someone to make the video for your brand. Some more tips for making a video:
- Be aware of the lighting: Make sure there is a lot of natural light or the room is brightly lit.
- Stabilize the camera: If you are using a smartphone, put your elbow close to your body to stabilise the phone or create a tripod with the items you have available to hold your phone while you make the video.
- Check your format: if you are making a video for your website or YouTube use a landscape format. If you are making a video for Instagram, you will need a square format and if you make a video for Facebook, you can use a portrait format.
STEP 5: Edit the video
When you have finished taping the video you will need to edit it. You should remove any scenes in the video that don’t add to the overall message of the video. You could also add some music to the video but ensure you have the license for the songs.
STEP 6: Post the video
You should post the video on the platform you have designed it for. You can use VidYard to help you to post your video to different platforms and add other information to your video.
By following these six steps, you will have brought your brand to life for your customers to enjoy and engage with you more.
Proudly brought to you by the NSBC.