This year, the National Small Business Chamber (NSBC) will mark the 13th anniversary of the South African Small Business Awards. The prestigious South African Small Business Awards recognises the tireless journey, hard work and outstanding achievements of Small Businesses and Entrepreneurial Success. It is a celebration of the most outstanding businesses and the mercurial individuals behind these successful and growing enterprises.
Mike Anderson, Founder and CEO of the NSBC says the continued success of the awards is testament to how important small business is to the South African economy. “The crucial role that small businesses play in job creation, poverty alleviation, service delivery, and wealth creation cannot be underestimated. Each recipient of the South African Small Business Awards demonstrates immense entrepreneurial spirit, commitment and many hours of hard work,” he adds.
Hosted by the NSBC, the South African Small Business Awards pays tribute to the contribution that small businesses make in building communities and creating employment, all while providing top quality goods and services to their customers.
“The awards also inspire other small businesses to continue striving for the highest levels of growth and success, knowing that some of the most respected companies in South Africa today also started out small. Winning an award is the ultimate recognition for every business owner and entrepreneur. It’s the springboard to personal and business success,” says Anderson.
For many aspiring entrepreneurs with a great business idea, knowing a few tips and tricks of the trade can go a long way. To mark thirteen years of the South African Small Business Awards, Anderson shares ten top tips for business success.
- Believe in your ability to triumph. Visualise the life you have dreamed of until you live it.
- Follow your heart and intuition. Passion is what will drive you to succeed.
- Get out of your comfort zone and innovate. It’s about new ideas, new processes and new ways of doing things.
- Never stop networking. Network at every opportunity.
- Always smash your customer’s expectations.
- Soar with the eagles. Surround yourself with the positive, the big thinkers and achievers.
- Aim to be the very best at what you do, focus on what you love to do, and what you are great at, then outsource the rest.
- Embrace failure. Treat setbacks as opportunities for learning and growth. The greatest risk is the one you don’t take.
- Take action and move fast. Don’t overthink and wait for the perfect conditions, they will never be perfect.
- Never Surrender. If you keep moving and never give-up you will always arrive at where you want to be.
This national competition is evaluated in four categories as well as a few special categories. More than one category can be entered into.
• National Small Business Champion of the Year
• National Entrepreneur Champion of the Year
• National Women in Business Champion of the Year
• National Young Entrepreneur Champion of the Year
• Special Categories: Awards where recognition is deserved
Entries for the 2021 South African Small Business Awards open on 10 August 2021 and close on Friday, 15 October 2021. The winners of the awards will be announced at a glittering virtual gala morning event on Thursday 18 November 2021. Entries are open to small businesses and entrepreneurs from all industry sectors throughout South Africa.